Sunday, September 25, 2011

Looking Back

I grew up as an only child and so when my parents became ill it was a very busy time as they both had lung diseases and both were in hospice at the same time. But the Lord was good and they both improved enough to be off hospice and my father lived one more year and my mother lived another two before she had to go back on it.

But the one time I remember very well, was when my mother was put in the hospital. She had to stay for a few days and then it was time for her to go home.

I rode in the medical van with my mother and my father came home in his car. The van arrived at my parent's home and stopped in front of the house. I opened the door, and just about the time I was going  to put my foot down onto the sidewalk I saw it. Just below my foot was a snake curled up.

I shut the van door and ask the driver if he could move the van forward a little. I turned around and looked at my mother as she was sitting in the back seat and she said, "You saw a snake didn't you?" I had to admitt to her that I did. She was deathly afraid of snakes. And then the driver of the van said, "Lady, I don't do reptiles."  So he gladly drove the van forward and we got my mother in a wheelchair and went across the lawn and up the steps and into the house.

In the meantime, my father arrived home and he was so worried about my mother that he just stepped right over that snake and didn't even see it. I yelled snake! But he first went in and checked on my mother to make sure she was ok and then he came back out and killed the snake.

Of course the verse that came to my mind as I was typing this post was Genesis 3:1: "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

It is a good thing my mother didn't live during the time of Adam and Eve for she would not only would see a snake but would be able to talk to one. Not a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment