Saturday, October 22, 2011

Being A Storyteller

As long as I can remember I always love to make up stories. Growing up as an only child I remember washing dishes and making up stories to a pretend audience. As I grew older I did do storytelling in front of real group of people.

The first time was at a gathering in which there were the mixture of babies, small children, teens, parents, and grandparents. I was so nervous that I forgot to tell them why I had chose the story, The Giving Tree which I think is a great story.

This was a Christian group and if you didn't know why I had picked that story it really did not make a lot of sense. But everyone sat in silence and listened and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. But it did seem to go over well and the Lord helped me to remember the story.

The Giving Tree is a story about a boy and a tree. And how when the boy was small he and the tree were great friends. Then as the boy grew older he went away from the tree and only came when he needed something from the tree. Then as the boy became a man he only visited the tree once-in-awhile. The tree gave the boy everything he wanted and at the end an old man sits on the stump of the tree and that is how the story ends.

I see the boy as a new Christian and Jesus as the tree. And so when a person first becomes a Christian they want to be with Jesus all the time. Then as time goes on they grow apart and then only come to Jesus when they want something. As the person gets older and realizes all that Jesus had done for them at Calvary, and over the years, they come back to Him as a broken person wanting to have that special relationship with Him and never leave His side again.

I still like to tell stories, and now I am writing my own children's story about my pet. So I guess I never have out grown being a storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment