Saturday, February 9, 2019

Abraham's Seed

Abraham's Seed
John 8:31-43

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, "if ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

*It is the same for us today. If we continue in God's word we are disciples of the Lord as we are following His teachings. Because we are following His ways we will know the truth and it His truth that shall make us free. (Amen!)

They answer him, "We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man how says thou, 'Ye shall be made free?'"

* They had a different outlook then we might have. Being that most of us are not Jewish we are Gentiles so we would not be the seed of Abraham, but if we were, we might think this way ourselves. Let's see what Jesus tells them.

.Jesus answered them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committed sin is the servant of sin.  And the servant abided not in the house for ever; but the Son abided ever. The Son there shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your Father."

*Any one who commits sin is its servant. A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. So if the Son sets you free you are free indeed. Jesus goes on and tells them that He is just telling them what He has seen when He was with His Father. And they are doing what they see their father do.

They answered and said unto him, "Abraham is our father," Jesus saith unto them, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. Ye do the deed of your father." Then said they to him, "We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

*They kept telling Jesus that Abraham was their father and Jesus kept telling them If they were the children of Abraham then they would do the works of Abraham but they are seeking to kill him. This is not of Abraham. They do the deeds of their father. Then they said they have only one Father, and that was God.

Jesus said unto them, "If God were your Father, ye would love me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I myself but he sent me. Why do ye not understand any speech? even because ye cannot hear any word.

*If God was your Father you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. Why can't you understand what I am saying. You are the children of your father the Devil and you love to do the evil things he does.

We will find out next time what the people thought about what Jesus just told them. Come back and find out or better yet read on and then we will look at it together.

Question-How would you have felt if you were told you were the children of the Devil?

No comments:

Post a Comment