Thursday, November 3, 2016

Things I Didn't Know About Wheelchairs And Walkers

Through out my life I have had many kinds of illness and surgeries. A few have been cancer surgery (thyroid), sinuous, gall bladder etc. Actually when they print out the information about medicines and illnesses it takes up about three pages.

What I wanted to talk about today is the things I am learning about having to use a walker or wheelchair. I just  received the diagnosis of arthritis in my right hip. I also have had it in my spine for many years. It is a little less in my left hip but there is a great deal of discomfort when I stand for periods of time, when I sit to long, and when I lay down, and especially when going up and down stairs. I am going to physical therapy to help loosen the knots in my back, hips and right leg.

I have been taking my walker to work with me as the walker helps me to walk the best. This is what I have discovered-chairs. I am working along and there is a chair right in the isle. I have to stop and get the chair out of the way so can go through. We have heavy wooden chairs so not an easy thing to do. So this has made me aware that from now on I push all chairs in. Also have to move other furniture around so can get through isles.

I get upset when people park in an handicap place and don't have a sticker and now I see how important it is to make sure all areas are clear of things that can make it hard for those in wheelchairs and using other equipment to get around.

I am so glad that God gave me such a wonderful husband as he has to drag out of the trunk of the car and put together my walker. It is one with a seat on it. It is heavy and awkward but he is so good about not complaining getting it out. He helps me around the house when I am not able to do something. God knew just the person I would need to be my husband. Praise His Holy Name!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment