Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Another AHA Moment

New Living Translation
Psalm 20:1-5
"Then God instructed the people as follows: 'I am the LORD your God, who rescued you from slavery in Egypt. Do not worship any other gods besides me. Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the LORD your god, am a jealous god who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to third and fourth generations.' "

Jealous
When you think of a jealous person what comes to your mind?

As I was getting ready to go to sleep last night I was thinking about God and how good He is and the thought that also came to my mind was that God is a jealous God. Then I thought about what a jealous person means to me. That person doesn't want to share me with anyone else. They want all the praise, attention, devotion that I can give them. They have rules for me to follow if I are going to be with them. Then I thought, that is how God is.

He chose me before the foundation of the world. He has set His beloved ones aside from this world and He wants us to be different. He wants us to worship only Him and not other people or things. He wants our undivided attention, our praise, our thanksgiving. He has given us rules to follow so that we can be different and be more like His Son. He loves us.

Jealous is not usually used in a positive way but I think in this case I am glad that God is a jealous God. It gives me direction on how to live in a way that will please Him.

What do you think? Do you think it is good that we have a jealous God?

No comments:

Post a Comment