Saturday, January 19, 2013

Setting The Example

Matthew 4:1-11
Whenever I read these verses I see where Jesus gives me an example how to fight off the Devil.

First, let's look at what is happening.  As soon as Jesus is baptized He is let out into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit. The reason for this is so that He is going to be tempted by the Devil.

If you have been a Chistian for a long time or a short time you know for a fact that as soon as you grow close to the Lord and want to serve God, the Devil will show up. Jesus was no different. Remember, He now has a human body. For forty days and forty nights He has nothing to eat. This is when the Devil comes to Jesus.

The Devil tempts Jesus three times. Even though Jesus is weak from hunger Jesus replies the same way each time He is tempted. In the New Living Translation Jesus says, "No! The Scriptures say..." Then Jesus goes on to quote an Old Testament Scripture which He has learned.

Here is the example that I have learned from Jesus. When the Devil comes to me I have my own Scripture verses that I have learned. I say them out loud and the Devil leaves. But, like with Jesus, he will be back and so again I must be ready for another attack.

As I was putting this post together the Devil was attacking me so I cried out, "Satan in the Name of Jesus flee from me!" He did and I was to able to continue on.

Question
Do you have any verses that you use to help you fight off the Devil?

No comments:

Post a Comment